Sunday, May 2, 2010

WHY do Bad Actors Still get Cast???

Hizzah! Can you tell I'm recovered (mostly) from the previous, hectic week? That's right: two posts in one day, baby. Hey, I have to make up for my dip in blogging last week.

So, it occurred to me again as my hubby and daughter watched the second episode of Star Wars: Attack of the Clones--on one of the "dude channels," because it's Sunday and that's what those channels do on Sundays--that this episode could have been SOOOOO much better (and the first episode, too, while we're talking about it) without the lackluster performances by Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen. HELLO!!! We have heavy hitters in this movie, people!! Ewan McGregor (LOVE!!), Samuel L. Jackson, (Liam Neeson was in the first one), Christopher Lee.

...And Natalie and Hayden. Blech. Next to the awesomeness of the aforementioned hitters, N & H are blah and unconvincing.

It kills me. In these movies, they are only slightly less annoying that Jar-Jar Binks. Barely. Hayden's delivery of emotionless, monotone, droning lines leaves one wondering if HE's the clone they talk about in the title. And, I'm not thoroughly convinced that Anakin really loved Padme, the way he plays the role.

And Natalie! I swear, that girl is the same freakin' character in every movie, just with a horribly fake Southern accent in some. She's like the female version of Keanu Reeves. Yep. I said it. Nope. I'm not takin' it back. But, the truth of the matter is that she'll keep getting cast in movies, and if I like the premise and/or the other actors, I'll still keep seeing them. Just like Keaun movies (except he's hot to boot). And so will millions of other people, and you know you will, too. So, ultimately, they win. C'est la vie!

P.S. I think part of my Portman distaste in the movie is associated with the lame character of Padme. She dies because her man ends up being a creepy Dark Side follower?? She just pumped out, not one, but two precious babies for crying out loud! What about suckin' it up and living for your kids?? Lame, but I guess all part of the Emperor's plan. Anakin wouldn't have become the big, bad dude if his lover-girl had lived, I guess. It's still lame, though.

P.S.S. I realize this movie's been out since like 2002 or something, but it doesn't mean that it's not forever in our face thanks to Sunday afternoon Star Wars marathons. Thank goodness #3 lived up to #4, 5, and 6 standards!
Photo source

No comments:

Post a Comment